Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Bottom of the Earth



This came past my in box today.  The 50th anniversary of the first manned dive to the deepest point on earth - the Mariana Trench off the coast of Guam - was earlier this week.  I don't know what day.  But I loved this animated video celebrating the experience.  

I also ran into an image of this amazing sculpture by American artist, Robert Longo.  The sculpture is 87 inches high by 108 inches across and 16 inches deep.  It would fill the biggest wall in our home; I wish it would.  Here is the link to details of the three panels.  For me, Longo's work is some part WPA mural and other parts Gates of Paradise or the Sistine Chapel's Last Judgment.  But the judgment coming down in punches and elbows in a dog-eat-dog kind of purgatory.   I'm out of time to consider the link between the two works, but in my mind there is one perking.  The best and worst in us?  The straining for existence (at the bottom of the sea or the economic wasteland?) or something much more optimistic? 

Robert Longo (b. 1953) Corporate Wars -  Walls of Influence, 1982.

7 comments:

  1. Also, I haven't seen science animation this engaging since that "Tomorrowland" DVD set of mid-century animation that came out of Disney's archives some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for buying into my weird little mash-up. I'm checking out the Tomorowland series. Don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Robert Lango's post-war looks great. Where someone can get moe info on histoty, size, price, etc ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I didn't see your comment earlier, 8b30d750-3d57-11e0-b127-000bcdcb2996. The sculpture was up for sale at the auction house, Wright in Chicago. Est. was $50-$70K, sold for $98.5K. Here are the details. http://www.wright20.com/auctions/view/K5P0/K5P1/114/LA/none/LW2W/0

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vRA29qA9Agc/TV2Dq6MtvuI/AAAAAAAAAA4/oa2Y32AhjSI/s1600/800px-Sarcophagus_Portonaccio_Massimo.jpg

    ReplyDelete